Sunday, April 15, 2007

Sara Orangetip butterfly


I consider myself a very novice butterfly watcher, and only yesterday I saw and identified a Sara Orangetip for the first time. However, I discovered that photographing one is even more of a challenge than seeing one well enough to identify it. I followed one back and forth along the edge of a field for 15 minutes, and it never stopped. I gave up when it flew out of sight. But today, on Minto Island in Salem, I found several males that kept coming back to the only Dame's Rocket flower I could see in the entire area, so I knew I had a chance. I discovered only later that I also had managed to photograph a female that stopped briefly nearby (lower photo). No other butterflies were seen today, but this one was more than enough to make the walk special.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home