Thursday, April 17, 2008

Melanistic Vermilion Flycatcher in Peru

I have always been amazed by the brilliance of male Vermilion Flycatchers when I've seen them in Mexico or the southwest U.S., and I was looking forward to seeing them during my current trip to South America. Well, I did see these two a few days ago in Lima, Peru, but it took me a while to realize that that is what the dark one is. I didn't know that in this area an unusual dark (or melanistic) form occurs. The female in the upper photo is typical, but the dark one below shows no sign of vermilion coloration, which according to the book indicates that it's a male.

2 Comments:

At 10:56 PM, Blogger Mel said...

Glad to know you found something new to you here ;)
ENJOY!!

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger FS said...

Welcome to the always exciting world of birding! Yes, I did enjoy my few days in your city very much. Maybe on my next visit (hopefully next year at this time) you can give me advice about other good birding spots in Lima.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home