Friday, June 27, 2008

Great Blue Heron chicks

Today my goal was to find this year's Red-eyed Vireos in the forest along the Willamette River where they've been found most years out of the last 10 or so. For about three hours I searched unsuccessfully in the grove of tall cottonwood and maple trees, and most of the time I was in thick underbrush and shoulder-high stinging nettles. In previous years I had heard the commotion of Great Blue Herons feeding young in this forest, and today in the thickest part of the "jungle" I found the heronry. There were at least six nests containing young birds almost ready to fly, and these two (in a nest about 40 ft. high in a cottonwood) watched my every move.

2 Comments:

At 6:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautiful picture!
I enjoy your blog from Japan!

love, YUKO

 
At 8:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awsome Floyd!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home