Sunday, December 13, 2009

More Robin variations

Today the Robins poured into my yard to feast on Hawthorne berries and old grapes, giving me a chance to add to the collection of photos I started yesterday. The one above has a black head; the one below is very gray, even on the breast.


White in the secondary and tertial feathers like this one has is apparently a variation caused by one of the unusual pigmentation anomalies. I've never before seen a Robin with this pattern. The one below has a dark head, but not quite black, and the white streaks on the throat run from the chin to the orange of the breast. After several days of freezing weather, the water in the bird bath was another attraction in the back yard.

1 Comments:

At 8:41 PM, Blogger Linda said...

I have a robin that visits my yard regularly and it is a very unusual bird in that it has white wings like a dove, but it is definitely a robin in every other way. Have you ever encountered this type of coloring?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home