Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Northern Saw-whet Owl in Yamhill Co., Oregon

This evening I was in the eastern slope foothills of the Coast Range in western Yamhill Co. At about 8:30 p.m. a Northern Saw-whet Owl began calling, so I moved closer to where the voice was coming from, and began talking back to him. Soon he was perching on low branches within about 10 ft. of me, and was snapping his bill, which seemed to be a kind of threat to the supposed invader of his territory. When I left after about 10 minutes he had moved back into the taller fir forest, but was still energetically uttering his endless string of toots.

As I was "talking" to the owl, I heard a flock of White-fronted Geese approaching from the southeast, but I had some difficulty seeing them at first. I was at about 750 ft. of elevation, and the flock was much higher than I was. The photo below was taken at about 10X telephoto, so I estimated that the birds must have been at an altitude of about 2,000 ft.

2 Comments:

At 9:20 AM, Blogger Jen Sanford said...

Wow- awesome owl shot!

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger KevinW said...

Great work on the owl photo. Incredible!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home