Sunday, April 23, 2006


Today as I was watching the action inside the Violet-green Swallows' nestbox, I saw a repeat of something I observed last year on May 1: The female swallow brought in a live insect (which appears to be a beetle) and released it. She soon left the nestbox, and when the beetle headed for the exit, too, I ran outside with my camera and took this shot of the head end before it went back into the box. The body is about 1/4 inch wide by 3/8 in. long. If anyone can tell me what kind it is, please let me know. I haven't been able to find it again, but it may still be inside.

1 Comments:

At 7:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice going! I think you've found an individual of the exceedingly rare Mold-Crested Horned Peanut species, a character typically only found in the pockets of high-altitude backpacks and under the bleachers in high school gymnasiums. Congratulations!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home