Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Honeybees in Bangkok


While searching for birds in the garden of the Nai Lert Park Hotel in Bangkok last week, I happened to spot this open-air beehive suspended from a branch about 3o ft. high in a tree. One of the gardeners noticed that I had found it, and told me it had been there for a year-and-a-half. He also said the honey is good to eat, and it appeared to me that there are proably several gallons contained in this honeycomb. I wonder how closely these bees are related to our American honeybees. (?)

3 Comments:

At 3:45 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Floyd -
I can't find your email, so I am hoping you moderate these comments.

Wingscapes is offering free BirdCams to bloggers. If you are interested, please email me your shipping address.

Bart Stephens
BartStephens@wingscapes.com

Also see…
BirdCam captures a Common Redstart in MD?
http://birdingcouple.blogspot.com/2007/10/carolina-chickadee-or.html

Sample Videos on Wingscapes’ YouTube! Channel
http://www.youtube.com/Wingscapes

www.Wingscapes.com

 
At 9:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did the gardener mention how the honey is removed without destroying the honeycomb? I didn't know that people collected honey from hives that they didn't create for the bees.

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger FS said...

The gardener did not comment on the technique of collection, but from my own experience watching my father work with honeybees for many years, I believe it's impossible to extract the honey without destroying the honeycomb, even from a specially constructed hive.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home