Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Birding by radar

I'm in Quito, Ecuador, today, but fortunately NEXRAD radar allows me to keep an eye on the Barn Swallow flock back home in Yamhill County, Oregon. The green "bubble" in the center of the map (north of Corvallis near the intersection of Yamhill, Polk and Marion Counties) indicates that a large number of swallows roosted there last night, and took off at about 6:50 this morning.

Here in Quito I have to grab the birding opportunities wherever my work duties take me. Yesterday my group went to visit the Equator monument after our morning school visits were completed, and I found this Sparkling Violetear Hummingbird guarding his feeding tree against all invaders. He occasionally perched long enough for me to get focused and shoot a few frames.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home