Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Some Delhi birds

From my hotel room window I saw my first Yellow-footed Green Pigeons perched in the upper branches of trees below me. Later in the hotel garden I saw more of them and became familiar with their call. In the evening hundreds of Rose-ringed Parakeets flew in to roost overnight in the trees.


The most constantly visible bird in both Nepal and India has been the Black Kite. A pair has a nest in one of the hotel garden trees in New Delhi, and there have usually been several within view from wherever I've happened to be in Delhi, Mumbai and Bangalore. They seem to be primarily scavengers, but when the fly close to the side of the hotel the pigeons all leave their ledges in a flurry.



A short video of a small group of circling Black Kites in New Delhi

1 Comments:

At 12:04 PM, Anonymous Jessica said...

Dear Flycatcher,

I am trying to reach you about our field guides. Please email me back at jessica_pellien@press.princeton.edu.

Thank you,
Jessica Pellien
Princeton University Press

 

Post a Comment

<< Home