Saturday, September 18, 2010

Counting birds in Yamhill County

The Fall North American Migration Count is happening this weekend, and I spent part of this day counting birds here in Yamhill County. I've been participating in this event for many years, and this was the "rainiest" NAMC I have experienced. But the birds are still here, and I had some interesting close encounters with some of them. For example, this Common Yellowthroat came up to investigate my "pishing" noises.


There are still at least tens of thousands of Barn Swallows in this area, and I saw about 70 or 80 thousand of them this evening during heavy rain preparing to go to roost in the corn fields near the Willamette River.


A video of the activity can be seen at:


This Turkey Vulture watched me for a few minutes from his perch on the pole, but finally got too nervous, and launched. Or maybe he just got hungry for more roadkill 'Possum.





1 Comments:

At 2:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm doing a similar study through field research at Mac High. Counting and photography will be easy, but identification... How do you keep track of which is which with so many species out there?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home