Sunday, May 08, 2011

Spring migration


This weekend the spring migration in western Oregon appeared to suddenly shift into "high gear." Every birder, and even many non-birders, were noticing Western Tanagers, like the one above that was in my yard in McMinnville. At about the same time, I also found another spring migrant in my yard that I usually see only up in the Coast Range -- a Hammond's Flycatcher (below).

Yesterday another Hammond's (below) was at my place in the Coast Range foothills, along with two Olive-sided Flycatchers, and about six species of warblers. There were also about 15 other species of birds in the same area, most of them singing continuously, and some of them gathering nesting material.


Orange-crowned Warbler

Black-throated Gray Warbler

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home