Friday, September 24, 2010

Birds against the moon

This is the time of the year when it's possible to watch birds at night -- that is, if the sky is fairly clear, and the moon is somewhere close to full. Millions of birds are migrating southward at this time, and many of them fly at night. Tonight I watched for about 10 minutes through my spotting 'scope at about 30x magnification. During that time I saw seven or eight birds fly across the face of the moon, and depending on their height above ground and distance from me, it took more or less time to make the crossing. Some went by in a split second, while others took perhaps three seconds. I think most of them were Robins or other thrushes, and one flew like a Flicker. Unfortunately, I didn't capture any of them with my camera, but the moon was worth looking at just for it's own beauty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home