Monday, March 08, 2010

Some additional sightings in Malaysia

Back home in Oregon now, I'm re-living parts of my recent trip to Malaysia by looking at my photos. Bulbuls and Mynas are some of the most common birds seen and heard there, and the Olive-winged Bulbul was new for me on this trip. I watched and listened to it singing for a long time in this tree in the Penang Botanical Gardens.

A friend in China once told me that a common name there used to refer to the Yellow-vented Bulbul (below) is something like, "Old White-haired Man."


The Common Myna is not only active and bold, but is entertaining because of its variety of vocal noises. This one on the lawn of my hotel in Penang was busy searching for food, but not too busy to stop and sound off loudly at intervals.




Another bird commonly seen along the beaches of Penang Island is the White-bellied Sea Eagle. This one was soaring near Batu Ferringhii just before sunset.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home